PIZZORNO TANNAT RESERVA – PIZZORNO 1910 FAMILY ESTATES – PIZZORNO WINERY – RUTA 32 – KM 23 – CANELÓN CHICO – I.NA.VI. 963 2008 13%
VISUAL ANALYSIS: limpid, ruby with purple reflexes and an important body.
OLFACTORY ANALYSIS: green wood, green pepper, unripe cherry, olives, wax, pomegranate, carob, mushroom, cacao and acacia wood.
GUSTATIVE ANALYSIS: as regards the alcoholic sensation, it is warm; as for the softness, it is scarcely soft; as concerns the salivation, it is scarcely fresh. The mineral notes give a weak sensation whereas tannins are very drying and rough. The final is bitter and blueberries flavoured. The structure is vigorous and the gustative aromatic persistency is about 5/6 seconds.
WINE-FOOD COMBINATION: lomo en salsa de puerros (loin with leeks sauce)
- The succulence of the meat is compensating for the astringency of the tannins
- The sweet tendency of the meat is counterweighing the bitterish sensation of the wine
- The succulence of the sauce is counterbalancing the alcoholic dryness of the wine
- The sweet tendency of the sauce is countervailing the mineral notes sensation of the wine
- The structure of the recipe is matching to the structure of the wine
- The gustative persistence of the meat is pairing with the aromatic persistence of the wine
MY PERSONAL OPINION: tannin is the only parameter in a position to exercise any authority over the palate. You can age this bottle in your wine-cellar or marry with an underdone red meat. It’s up to you…nothing more, nothing less.